New Zealand’s southern hemisphere ski fields – renowned for spectacular mountain terrain, postcard scenery, varied snow trails, and popular resorts – are gearing up for the winter 2014 season. Queenstown Wanaka, Mt Hutt in the South Island and National Park in the North Island are the best known ski regions.
With the first snows expected during May, the ski season kicks off early June and runs until late October in the South Island and National Park in the North Island North Island.
If looking for something different this year check out Snowshoeing from NZ Walks.
- North Island:
- Northland – Bay of Islands (Pink)
- Auckland (Red)
- Coromandel Peninsula – Rotorua (Yellow)
- Waikato – Taupo(Orange)
- Hawkes Bay (Green)
- Wairarapa – Wellington (Light Blue)
- South Island:
- Marlborough – Nelson (Pink)
- West Coast (Dark Blue)
- Canterbury – Christchurch (Red)
- Otago – Dunedin – Queenstown (Yellow)
- Fiordland (Green)